Luzhetsky Monastery in Mozhaysk
Founded in 1408 by St. Ferapont and rebuilt in brick in the 16th century
Luzhetsky monastery in Mozhaysk was founded by monk Therapont of Belozersk, a disciple of St. Sergius of Radonezh at the beginning of the 15th century. The monastery is also called Ferapontov. Therapont of White Lake, was appointed the Prince of Mozhaysk, son of Dmitry Donskoy, to build his monastery near the capital city of the Principality. Beloozero, along with Mozhaisk, was belonged to Prince Andrei Dmitrievich of Mozhaysk, according to the will of Prince in 1408 the seventy-year old man became the founder of the Nativity monastery in the area called the Luzhki (Meadows), near Mozhaysk, where he was an abbot almost 20 years, until his death. In the monastery relics of its founder, the monk Pherapont.
In 1542 was built the Cathedral of the Nativity of the virgin, and after 5 years, the refectory with vvedenskoj Church, which was originally hipped. At the end of the 16th century in the monastery were built two stone buildings – the Church of St John Climacus and the gate Transfiguration Church (rebuilt in 1732 after a fire).
In 1680 built brick wall with four round towers, and in 1692 completed three-tiered hipped bell tower and fraternal house. Thus, the ensemble of the monastery is almost completely formed by the end of the 17th century.
In 1732 the monastery was badly damaged by fire, and most of the buildings had somehow to reconstruct and build new is a quadrangular tower with commercial gate, abbot's rooms.
The monastery suffered in the war of 1812, miraculously managed to save him from the fire. During the great Patriotic war the Nazis arranged a pow camp. And after the war, the NKVD placed here camp.
In 1961 began the restoration of the monument, and in 1993. the monastery was returned to Russian Orthodox Church and started to revive the monastic community.
Not far from the monastery chapel built over the source of the monk Therapont:
The Cathedral inside is plastered, painted, unfortunately, lost.
Parking at the gate.
On-site to photograph, but inside the Cathedral it is impossible.
- Open Street Maps